When I was trying to decide what to write for this occasion I saw another one of those commercials. You know the commercials? The ads that are from Noble or some other part of the industry. I thought: I know what I can do. I could do talk that is a version of 3 truths and a lie. 3 Truths and a Lie is an ice breaker game where you give three true facts about yourself and 1 lie. The rest of the team then decides what is true. Here’s my new game called: Many Lies and Little Truth. It should be a fun game. I will give you statements and you tell me truth or lie. Here we go. Yell out your answers.
- Let’s start with the commercial showing the cute woman who has an organic farm and raises goats and allows fracking on her land because it is so safe. Is fracking safe? Truth or lie? What I hear is that she does have an organic farm, does raise goats, she just leases her mineral rights that are not on her organic farm but allows the wells next to some other family.
By the way the punch line that those of us who are trying to stop fracking, get her goat, makes me feel a little crazy.
- Water has never been contaminated by fracking? Lie, we have tons of evidence that it has been contaminated. Plus, it is not normal for water to light on fire.
- Fracking has been done safely for 65 years! LIE? Yes another lie. The current form of high pressure, high volume, hydraulic fracking started in the late 90’s. And has never been safe.
- We need this oil and gas to be energy independent. Lie: they are trying to get the export ban lifted. They are building terminals on both coasts and the gulf to be ready to export. That doesn’t sound like they need it for us to be energy independent. This is simply about corporate profits.
- There is a commercial with a cute mother with the soccer kids. She says wouldn’t support any industry that pollutes. Does this industry pollute? Yes a LIE. She is supporting fracking which is polluting our air. We are a non-attainment area for Ozone across much of the state. The American Lung Association gave many of us an F for air quality. This industry pollutes the air with deadly toxins and is putting our children at risk. She probably lives in a gated community up the mountain out of this filthy air.
- The economy of Colorado will collapse if oil and gas industry is not allowed to continue full speed ahead with fracking. The economics of fracking is usually stated in an inflated way. They count the worker and also use a formula to also count people in the area where he works, so the barber, the person who checks out his groceries…and so on. The truth is: -According to the Department of Commerce, oil and gas accounts for less than 1 % of the jobs in CO. That’s about 30,000 jobs. It is estimated that transitioning to renewables would create 87,000 jobs in Colorado.
- Governor Hickenlooper’s task force gave citizens of Colorado a voice in oil and gas operations. Why is Governor Hickenlooper protecting a dangerous, industrial practice instead of creating jobs, saving tax payer money, and protecting our health, air and water by transitioning to renewables? Why is he suing the citizens who voted to keep this dangerous industry out of our communities?
- The oil and gas industry is heavily regulated. They are exempt from several federal acts including the clean air, clean water and RCRA which is about toxic waste disposal. If they were safe why do they need these exemptions?
- Governor Hickenlooper frequently states that Colorado has the strictest methane rules in the country. California’s Governor says they have the strictest regulations. TWO Lies. Flir camera video show how much toxic air pollution s rolling off the well pads. Methane leaks from the point of fracking to production on through to consumption. Every point is a potential leak. All these methane leaks are contributing to climate change. Recent studies reveal that the amount of methane leaking has been vastly underestimated.
- Fracking is a dirty disgusting form of extreme energy production. It is responsible for air, water, land pollution, habit destruction, and unhealthy communities. TRUTH
If you haven’t testified yet, go tell the EPA to listen to the truth, listen to scientists not industry lobbyists. Tell the EPA that fracking is never safe. The EPA needs to lead us to a future free from fossil fuel!